Impumelelo Project – World Record
Impumelelo Project included mechanical design, control design, component selection, commissioning, and chute design. CDI Partner was ELB Engineering Services Ltd.
Year of Construction: 2015
Location: Republic of South Africa
Length : 26.8 km
Power: 4,900 kW
Capacity: 1,920 tph
Strength: ST-2000 N/mm
Velocity : 6.54 m/s
Project scope included chute design and DEM analysis in a system conveying coal up to a design of 2,400 tph.
Number of Chutes: 2
Chute Design: Yes
ROCKY DEM Analysis: Yes
Capacity: 1,920 tph operational and 2,400 tph design
- Worlds Longest Single Flight Belt Conveyor.
- Four horizontal curves at 4,600 m, 4,600 m, 6000 m, and 10,200 m radius.
- Low rolling resistance rubber belt.
- Idler spacing is 4.5 m x 9 m.
- Intermediate drive station further reduces belt tension but requires complex control system.