Impumelelo - World Record
In the fall of 2015, Conveyor Dynamics Inc. (CDI) and ELB Engineering Services (ELB) commissioned the world’s longest overland conveyor. This 26.8 km long conveyor (tape length of 54 km!) delivers 2400 tph of coal from the Impumelelo mine to the SASOL Brandspruit coal-to-diesel conversion plant near Secunda in South Africa.
CDI was contracted by ELB Group (ELB) to perform the mechanical design and mechanical and structural detailing, control system engineering and commissioning of this system.
Year of Construction: 2015
Location: South Africa
Length: 26.8 km
Power: 4.900 kW
Capacity: 1.920 tph
Strength: ST-2000 N / mm
Velocity: 6.54 m / s
- Longest single-section belt in the world.
- Four horizontal curves with radii of 4,600m, 4,600m, 6,000m, and 10,200m.
- Super Low Rolling belt bottom cover
- 4.5m distance between carry idlers and 9m between return idlers
- Mid-flight fixed tripper station reduces the maximum tension on the belt.
- Advanced control of motors distributed throughout the system and tension feedback.